The National Football League is seeking coverage from insurers that it says have refused to provide a defense as the league faces hundreds of concussion-related lawsuits from former players.
The list of defendants in a civil case filed Aug. 15 by the NFL and NFL Properties in California Superior Court includes companies from insurance groups such as Chartis, Chubb, Fireman’s Fund, Travelers, Hartford, OneBeacon, Ace, Allstate, XL, Tranatlantic, Crum & Forster and Alterra.
Earlier this week, Alterra filed court documents in New York asking a judge to declare that the insurer has no duty to defend or indemnify the professional football league.
The NFL says it seeks to recover more than $5 million in attorneys’ fees and other costs it has already spent in defense of numerous lawsuits from thousands of formers players and spouses alleging they suffered neurological damage from head injuries as a result of neglect and fraud by the league.
Furthermore, the NFL also wants a judge to say the insurers need to meet obligations to defend the NFL in current and future lawsuits.
Lastly, the NFL seeks a declaratory judgment that its umbrella and excess insurance providers also need to provide a defense for the league.
Currently, says the NFL, insurers providing general liability coverage since or at some point from 1968 to 2012 have “failed and refused to discharge their obligations to defend the NFL and NFL Properties in the injury lawsuits” and “have breached their duty to defend” though it has paid millions of dollars in premiums. (Continue reading)